Betatrons are designed for nondestructive testing of materials and products, as well as for solving a number of applied and scientific problems.
The betatron is an induction cyclic accelerator of electrons, where the energy of particles is increased by an electric curl field produced by a fluctuating magnetic flux occuring inside the orbit of particles.
Main areas of application
- non-destructive testing of materials and products in industry and in construction;
- inspection of carry-on baggage, contents of containers, and large transport vehicles;
- radiation tests of radio electronic equipment in order to predict its operational life in outer space;
- radiation therapy with fast electrons of a wide range of diseases of oncological and other nature.
Characteristic differences of the betatron, as compared to other emitting sources
- narrow directional beam pattern and, hence, lower radiation danger when working in non-stationary conditions;
- good sharpness of the image due to small sizes of the focal spot;
- portability and mobility of most betatron modifications;
- low cost, as compared to other types of accelerators.
Advantages of latest developments
- easy servicing due to introduction of the microprocessor control;
- increased reliability due to development of quick-response effective electronic protection schemes of power circuits of the betatron;
- low yield of faulty radiographs due to the presence of a built-in and a remote system of beam dosimetry;
- standardized parts for different types of betatrons.